Japan has been home to numerous mystical traditions and cultures since ancient times. Among them, the game ‘Kokkuri-san’ gained popularity during the Meiji era and continues to be known by many people today.
This game involves participants using a coin to communicate with spiritual entities, as it’s believed.
The Origins of Kokkuri-san
The origins of ‘Kokkuri-san’ are said to trace back to the 15th-century European practice of table-turning, and it is believed to have been introduced to Japan in 1884 by American sailors in the Izu Peninsula of Shizuoka Prefecture.
How to Play Kokkuri-san
- Preparation: Prepare a sheet of paper with the alphabet, numbers, and the words ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ written on it, and place a coin on top.
- Positioning Participants: Participants sit around the table and lightly place their fingers on the coin.
- Asking Questions: Chanting ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, hello,’ participants pose questions to the spiritual entities.
- Observing the Coin: Interpret the messages from the spirits through the movement of the coin.
- Ending the Game: Chant ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, goodbye’ to end the game and remove the coin from the paper.
Examples of Questions
When asking questions in Kokkuri-san, it’s recommended to pose simple and clear questions. Below are examples of questions:
- Basic questions: ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, are you here?’
- Questions about the future: ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, what will the weather be like next week?’
- Questions about the past or present: ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, does my family love me?’
- Light-hearted questions: ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, what food do you recommend?’
- Closing question: ‘Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san, goodbye.’
The Allure of Kokkuri-san
Kokkuri-san stimulates human curiosity towards the unknown world, offering a mysterious experience.
Also, playing in a group fosters social connections while providing opportunities to share moments of new discoveries and surprises.
‘Kokkuri-san’ is meant for entertainment purposes and has the potential to cause psychological effects or fear. It does not provide actual spiritual communication, so participants need to exercise caution.
‘Kokkuri-san’ reflects the mystical traditions of Japan, offering a unique game to make time with friends and family special.
However, it’s crucial to be mentally prepared and understand its nature as entertainment when participating.